“Many, O LORD my God are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.” Psalm 40:5 When life deals you a bitter blow and you can’t sleep because your mind is filled with worries and whys that whirl around in your head like a swarm of gnats that won’t let you rest then deliberately change your focus from the present to the blessings from God in the past. A few years ago I decided to make a list of some of the best blessings that I have known and am thankful for. Yet each time I would try to make a list I found like David said in his psalm that “they would be too many to declare.” Now when I feel stressed and anxious about the future just reading my list relaxes me and fills me with peace knowing that my God is a great and awesome God whose love never fails.
At the top of my list of blessings would have to be my personal relationship with Jesus who is my Best Friend and Savior. I am also so very blessed to have 4 children and 8 grandchildren which my dear husband and I get to enjoy most every week. And now to the list I would like to include some of the precious memories of times I have spent with them.
1. When my daughter was only four, I helped her plant a tiny twig of a pine tree. When she turned seven, she helped me plant more than 200 tiny pine tree twigs and together we loved and cared for them through flood and drought. It doesn’t seem so long ago and yet now they have become a fragrant forest and she is a beautiful young woman with little children of her own.
2. I have watched my grandchildren sleep snuggled close to me and listened to them giggle when they’re tickled. And I have heard them pray and talk to God with childlike faith knowing that their heavenly Father will care for them just like a loving Daddy.
3. I’ve seen the beauty of a deer followed by her fawn crossing our back yard and once my grandchildren found a baby fawn. In springtime tiny waterfalls bring music to my secret garden in the woods and I have listened to the crickets sing and watched the evening fireflies rise up spreading over meadow mists like a million tiny Christmas lights. And with my children I have watched the stars come out while making wishes and hoping for a shooting star.
4. I’ve pulled the sack from a newborn pup and watched its mother lick and warm it into life. And I have seen a newborn colt stand up on wobbly legs and later dance across the grass to the music of the wind.
5. I found a Sea Horse near the shore and I carried it out to the deep and watched it swim away and I’ve rescued many starfish stranded on the beach. I’ve seen a double rainbow and the unfailing love of God in wing like clouds that overshadow me as I travel down life’s way. 6. At midnight I have rafted down a river in Alaska and seen a glorious sunset reflected in my true love’s eyes as we watched eagles flying home. And I have seen the majesty and splendor of the snow capped mountains and heard the mighty roar of giant waterfalls. I have watched as storms rolled in across the ocean and felt the gale force winds and heard the crash of giant waves. And I have also listened for the still small voice of God and been rewarded in the silence.
7. I have felt the power of the Holy Spirit in my life and praying for a miracle discovered that what seems to be impossible is possible with God. And I have seen the glory of God from sunrise to sunset and felt the joy of His Presence deep within my heart and soul and know that I’ve been blessed.
“If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” Psalm 139:9,10
A few weeks ago I was honored by being nominated for the Versatile Blogger award and I first of all want to thank my friend at newviewfromhere.wordpress.com for his kind words and nomination. In receiving this award, I have been asked to: (and the same goes for you)
- In a post on your blog, nominate up to 15 more fellow bloggers for The Versatile Blogger Award.
- In the same post, add the Versatile Blogger Award.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to them in this post.
- Share 7 things about yourself that most people don’t know.
- In the same post, include this set of rules.
- Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs.
I have decided to nominate 7 blogs for the Versatile Blogger Award because each of these 8 have blessed my heart over and over again with their posts. There are many other blogs that I love reading as well, but I think most of them have already received this award or do not have the time to follow the list of instructions that go with it. I have included a list of blogs that I follow at the top of this post.
And what about you dear reader. Have you made a blessing list? I would love to hear about it.